Monday, 17 October 2011

NRA hires experts to examine Drum flooding concerns

The National Roads Authority (NRA) has appointed consultants to examine flooding problems in South Roscommon which may have been caused by the construction of the M6 Athlone to Ballinasloe motorway.

After the motorway was constructed, Curraghboy councillor Tony Ward started receiving phonecalls from residents in the Drum area who said land which had previously been able to absorb rainwater was now flooding after 10-12 hours of rainfall.
Cllr Ward believes that the size of culverts which were installed beneath the new M6 motorway at Drum was not adequate and that this has contributed to flooding in the nearby townlands of Taduff East and Mihanbee.

Roscommon County Council stated last June that it had requested funding to carry out a flood study in the area, and Cllr Ward asked for an update on the situation at last week's meeting of the local authority's Athlone Area committee.
The council replied: "Issues have arisen in relation to culverts and drainage at Taduff and Ballydangan. Consultants have been appointed to examine the issues and liaise with land owners. The consultants' report will be submitted to the NRA in November 2011.

"Funding will be provided by the NRA for the consultants and also in the event that further works are required as a result of the consultants' recommendation."
Cllr Ward welcomed the fact that the report was being drafted, but he said this was a problem which had arisen because the views of local farmers and landowners hadn't been listened to when the culverts beneath the motorway were being installed in the first place.

He added that a possible solution to the problems involved cleaning the Cross River in South Roscommon and widening some of the culverts in the Drum area.

The Athlone to Ballinasloe motorway was constructed at a cost of €211 million was officially opened in the summer of 2009.

The Westmeath Independent

No comments: