Saturday, 12 January 2008

Bord says yes to apartment plan for D3 house

Redcourt House - the Victorian property in Clontarf, Dublin 3 where the burned remains of a man were found after a fire last summer - is to be converted into apartments as part of a new homes development.

An Bord Pleanála has granted developer Mark Piggott planning permission to turn the late 19th century house on Seafield Road East, which was extensively damaged in the blaze, into four apartments.

A five-storey apartment block with 33 apartments and nine townhouses will also be part of the development.

The property was the home of the Hardy family for several generations and was sold to developer Mark Piggott in 2004 for €7.5 million, €3.3 million more than the guide price.

Redcourt House hit the headlines in August when a 38-year-old man (believed to have been in the house before the fire broke out) presented himself at Raheny Garda station as the fire was still raging.

The fire was brought under control by five units of the fire brigade and the remains of a man were found.

The house on 1.65 acres has been at the centre of a protracted planning dispute in recent years.

An original proposal to demolish the house and build 54 apartments was rejected by both Dublin City Council and An Bord Pleanála.

Although the developer succeeded in stopping the house being listed as a protected structure, An Bord Pleanála said it was an "intrinsic element" of the site.

The current proposal was given the thumbs-up by Dublin City Council earlier this year.

Local residents submitted an appeal to An Bord Pleanála saying that Redcourt House would be "completely overshadowed and dwarfed" by the apartment block in the grounds.

However, An Bord Pleanála has now ruled that the development would not seriously injure the residential or visual amenities of the area.

In its conditions of planning permission, An Bord Pleanála said no apartment or townhouse could be occupied until works to Redcourt House are completed.

The Irish Times

No comments: