Thursday 26 April 2007

Planning stories

I've had a few emails in the last two weeks asking me my opinion on a range of planning stories in the media and made available on my site. I'd love to have time to spend responding to each story; to get involved in chatrooms, filling the Internet with new material, but I don't have time. I am also interested in reading planning stories myself and to read and then to write would take considerable time. Most people assume that to be interested in a subject, one should show this by writing about it. However, what such people forget is how those we know who write about their interests are most often paid to do so. These people are our journalists, novelists and website content providers. The link between being interested in a subject and needing to write about it is mistaken. I work in the area in which I am interested; I am involved in day to day planning stories which are sometimes interesting and sometimes less so, but I don't need to write about it. From time to time I read or see something worth writing about, but most of the time I'd have to try hard to find stories worth my attention. I leave the writing to the professionals; I enjoy it and collect the stories for others to share. For those who appreciate this, enjoy.

Brendan Buck

No comments: