Monday 21 May 2007

€11m port development in Louth

Noel Dempsey TD, the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources has officially opened a new €11 million harbour development at Port Oriel, County Louth, accompanied by his colleague, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern TD.

Speaking at the opening ceremony, Minister Dempsey said - "It gives me great pleasure to be part of a Government that is committed to providing modern, efficient, fishing harbours like this one in Port Oriel, that can play a strong role in the local economy. I have no doubt that this new development will add immensely to the prosperity of Clogherhead and of the fishermen from all parts along the east coast."

This project was jointly-funded by the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources and Louth County Council. The total joint investment in the completed works was more than €11 million - the Department funded 75% of the total cost and the remaining 25% was provided by Louth County Council.

"Port Oriel now has one of the finest fishing ports in the country and, onshore, there is a port community that is skilled and committed to developing the port and its reputation" - Dempsey continued.

The future of Port Oriel harbour is an exciting one, filled with greater opportunities than at any time in its history. There are opportunities for expansion, for further marine development and for contribution to the growth of the local area. I urge everybody to see the potential of what a modern fishery harbour should be about - a place of prosperity for everybody" - concluded the Minister.

No comments: