Friday 26 October 2007

Mayor quashes Hill of Allen debate

An attempt to discuss the Hill of Allen controversy was ruled out of order at Monday’s meeting of Kildare County Council. The topic was introduced by Cllr. Fiona O’Loughlin, who sought an amendment to the minutes of a previous meeting.

“I looked for information in relation to the proposed settlement between Roadstone and Kildare County Council and I want the minutes amended to clarify that,” she said.

She went on to comment: “I believe Roadstone should be applying for planning permission to the council in relation to its quarrying operation. Now it has emerged that two more national monuments have been discovered and in terms of heritage, and protecting what we have, this is vitally important.”

Cllr. O’Loughlin added: “I appreciate the sensitivities around the case at present, but I wanted to make this point.”

However, when Cllr. Pat Black attempted to make a further comment on the matter, commencing with “Anybody with the idea of heritage in mind should be concerned,” he was prevented from continuing.

Saying that she had allowed Cllr. O’Loughlin to request the amendment to the minutes, mayor Mary Glennon said there could now be no further discussion. “There is no debate under mayor’s business,” she said.

“I don’t want a debate; I want to make a comment,” said Cllr. Black.

“I’m sorry, I cannot allow any comment — there is no right of reply,” the mayor told a disgruntled Cllr. Black, effectively closing off the discussion.

Despite saying two weeks ago that the details of its settlement with Roadstone would be finalised and entered into the planning record “shortly,” no such information has yet been placed in the public arena by the county council.

Vicki Weller
Kildare Nationalist

No comments: