Transport Minister, Martin Cullen T.D. has announced that the feasibility study as contained in Transport 21 - on the establishment of a Luas line from Rathfarnham, Terenure and Harold's Cross to the city centre - is to be undertaken in the coming weeks.
Currently, Dublin has two Luas lines in operation -
* the Green Line - going from St Stephen's Green to Sandyford - and
* the Red Line - going from Connolly Station to Tallaght.
Under Transport 21 - the Government's investment programme for transport - seven Luas projects are being planned at this time. These are -
* Luas Sandyford to Cherrywood;
* Luas Cherrywood to Bray;
* Luas extension from Tallaght to Citywest;
* Luas from Connolly station to the Docklands (The Point);
* Lucan Luas line;
* Luas from St Stephen's Green to the city centre (O'Connell Street) - and
* the city centre out to Liffey junction.